More Bloodwork

Not for me though! DH had blood drawn at the urologist yesterday to check his LH and FSH levels. Little did we know that if the levels of these hormones are double what they should be, he won't even need the biopsy. Not a good thing, though. If his levels are double what they should be (around 36), it means his pituitary gland is working over time to make sperm and it's not working. So if DH is not making sperm in the first place, there is no reason to slice into his balls, thus saving him a surgical procedure and us both $1,500 OOP. Yes, you read that right: $1,500 for a surgical procedure that is NOT covered by our insurance. Although in the grand scheme of things, it's pennies compared to what we will be forking out for a child. The Shared Risk Program in the state of Virginia costs approximately $24K and doesn't include any of my medication that I will need to take each month.

And then there's the adoption road. I haven't looked too much into what adoption will encompass, so I don't even know an amount to tell you. In the end, it will all be worth it. To be able to hold our own bundle of joy, will be priceless. No Mastercard comments, please. I will tell you a funny thing DH said when we were talking about it the other night. When I asked him if he wanted to get the adoption ball rolling right away if it looked like that was the way we were going, he said that he would want to do some research on the agencies in our area first. I told him that's where we would start of course. He then told me that he doesn't want to have a kid in three weeks. I gave him the famous blank stare for a few seconds then assured him that it usually takes at the very least one year to adopt if not longer. He seemed to relax a little then.
SO, not babes in three weeks, hopefully within the next two years we'll be blessed!
~Kate~

No comments: